This guide will explain how to set up your Gmail so you can send from, and receive emails sent to, your nexus email address. Emails sent to the nexus address will be labelled as such, and sending them from it will be as simple as choosing it from a drop down list.
If you are doing this with a different email client, the exact process will be different, but the various required details are similar, and are given on the university IT help page.
Step 1 - Receive college emails using Gmail
- To start, log in to Gmail and click the settings button (looks like a gear) in the top right corner of the screen. Then choose ‘settings’ from the drop down list.
- In the bar that appears along the top of the screen click ‘Accounts and Import.’
- Under ‘Check email from other accounts (using POP3) click ‘Add a POP3 mail account that you own.’
- Enter your college email address which is of the form ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’
- Your username and password are your SSO details. E.g. bras1234 with your password.
- Fill in the next page as shown in the screenshot (right), replacing your own details with those shown as necessary.
- On the next page, choose ‘Yes, I want to be able…’ and click next.
Step 2 - Send college emails using Gmail
- Now it's going to guide you through the process of allowing you to send emails from your college address.
- Uncheck ‘Treat as an alias’ and click next.
- Fill in the next page as shown in this screenshot (right), again substituting your individual details for those shown.
- You’ll then be guided through the process of verifying the setup you’ve just performed via emails.
- Now you’ll be able to choose the address you send emails from by selecting it from a drop down list in the 'from' bar when you compose an email. When replying to an email, by default, Gmail will send it from the address it was sent to originally.